Sunday, June 2, 2013

Remember an Early Summer


Remember an Early Summer


Yard

The first house I lived in
had a small back yard,
Yet it contained
two cherry trees,
standing side by side,
hovering over our back porch,
radiant with white blossoms
that lit up our lives
each spring.
I climbed both trees, yes,
ate the cherries, too,
and spit their seeds
to the ground.
Dandelions and clover,
were our unkempt
groundcover--my
roll-around friends
in hot suns
and early cool nights--
my mother industrious
in the wings, mistress
of roses and peonies.
Once in awhile
when my father prevailed,
I mowed the grass.






To Ponder

            1.   I recently read a delightful novel from the 50s,
                  “Dandelion Wine,” by the late Ray Bradbury.

            2.   With summer approaching, it put me in mind of
                  this week’s poem, “Yard,” and early youth.

            3.   The yard shone up to my upstairs bedroom
                  window, so too The Soo Line Railroad, the yard’s
                  south boundary, passing daily, clickedy-clack.

            4.   It’s difficult to tally the full importance of that yard
                  in my life as the memories rush in and stick hard.

            5.   Did you have a yard, a street, park or playground
                  where you chased after your friends or jumped
                  rope?

            6.   Does it make sense for you to revisit that place as
                  it does for me in placing myself back in our
                  ordinary yard?

            7.   Remember yourself as a child somehow, even if it
                  hurts. Look at you now.




© 2013 Allan Cox, Allan Cox & Associates Inc. All Rights Reserved.
__________________________________________________________

If you enjoy reading this story, you may wish to order WHOA! Are They Glad You’re in Their lives? available on Amazon Kindle and in print edition too. 

  • Kindle Edition: WHOA! Are They Glad You're in Their Lives?

  • Print Edition: WHOA! Are They Glad You're in Their Lives?


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your comments, thoughts, and experiences. This is where you may interact.

<< Home

Find me at Starbucks

Allan Cox Word Art